Engineering Manager Front-end - DX chapter
YOUR ROLE WILL CONSIST OF:
- Help the team plan, execute and ship releases respecting timelines and high quality development, working closely with the product and leadership teams
- Coach and mentor engineers to excel at their work and grow
- Hire and onboard engineers to build a diverse and excellent team
- Lead by example, coding alongside your team when necessary
- Be a culture advocate within the company living by our core values
- Continuously work on our Engineering Brand, producing content, attending events, leading some talks and being creative
- Implement process as needed like weekly syncs, team's handbooks
YOU MIGHT BE A FIT IF YOU HAVE:
- Deep interest in people and mentoring
- At least 5 years of software development experience
- Successful team management or lead experience
- A passion for shipping quality code
- Great oral and written communication in English
- Background in Front-end development
- Knowledge on : React.js, Typescript, JS, Web Pack...
A TYPICAL DAY AS AN ENGINEERING MANAGER:
- First thing in the morning is a one on one with one of your team member. Respecting the maker's schedule of your teammates you booked those meetings early in the morning, right after lunch or at the end of the day. That way people can have long uninterrupted sessions of work. Ideally you prepared this session for it to be efficient
- Right after that, you check any important mention you got by email, GitHub or Slack, to see if someone needs your immediate attention or advice on their work
- Your team is growing so you check the recruiting tool to see if there are any good candidate in the pipe, you will ping the recruiting team if so
- It's lunch time!
- After lunch you have a screening call with an engineer for your team, again you prepared this by making sure to read the candidate profile and being clear about the current needs in your team
- Now it's time to get some individual contribution. At Algolia depending on the team you are managing you will spend between 20% and 50% of your time on individual contributions. Today you'll fix the continuous integration build for your team to be efficient
- After that you have a design meeting with the product manager of your team where you will spend time together with another engineer designing a new feature on your product
- Now one of your teammate wants you to review a presentation for a meetup they will attend, it's nice to be involved in it and be able to make people grow in different skills
- Finally, you start wrapping up the day by preparing the next day: You have a weekly team meeting where everyone will update on the status of their projects along with bringing any discussion wort having as a group
- As an engineering manager you are used to those days sliced in many small events. Context switching is part of your job and one you are good at, while still being able to have focused individual contributions when needed
WE'RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO CAN LIVE OUR VALUES:
- GRIT - Problem-solving and perseverance capability in an ever-changing and growing environment
- TRUST - Willingness to trust our co-workers and to take ownership
- CARE - Genuine care about other team members, our clients and the decisions we make in the company.
- CANDOR - Ability to receive and give constructive feedback.
- HUMILITY- Aptitude for learning from others, putting ego aside.
- Private Medical Insurance
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Business Travel Insurance
- Relocation support
- Company Canteen (high standard)
- Flexible work hours and flexible time off
- Competitive pay and equity
- Coaching and sponsorship to participate and speak at leading industry conferences
- Ongoing professional education opportunities through internal & external workshops, including public speaking, language learning (English/French)
- Fun: we spend time together — team building, socializing and making tools that encourage getting to know teammates across offices and continents.
- Charitable contribution matching
- Unique referral rewards program: refer a candidate, and we’ll donate to your charity of choice
- Fully stocked kitchens
- Team workouts
- Meals & happy hours