Yes, records are not expected to go beyond a certain size limit of minified JSON: 10KB for free accounts, 20kb for Essential and Plus, and custom for Business and Enterprise. You’ll get the
Record is too big error if you try to index a record bigger than the limit.
There are three reasons for this limit:
- It increases latency: big objects with a lot of unnecessary information take a long time to be uploaded/downloaded
- In most cases, having bigger objects is a sign that you’re not using Algolia at its full capacity:
- Having very big chunks of text is usually bad for relevance, because most objects end-up having a lot of similar words, and they will match with a lot of irrelevant queries.
- It’s often better to de-duplicate big objects into several smaller ones
- The pricing for Essential and Plus is based on your number of records.
Did you find this page helpful?
We're always looking for advice to help improve our documentation!
Please let us know what's working (or what's not!).
We're constantly iterating thanks to the feedback we receive.