FAQ Basics Is there a size limit for my index/records?
Last updated 10 February 2017
Yes, records are not expected to go beyond 10KB of minified JSON. You’ll get the
Record is too big error if you try to index a record bigger than the limit.
If you need to search for bigger objects, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll increase your limit. There are three reasons for this limit:
- Our pricing is based on it
- In most cases, having bigger objects is a sign that you’re not using Algolia at its full capacity:
- Having very big chunks of text is usually bad for relevance, because most objects end-up having a lot of similar words, and they will match with a lot of irrelevant queries.
- It’s often better to de-duplicate big objects into several smaller ones
- It increases latency: big objects with a lot of unnecessary information take a long time to be uploaded/downloaded
To find out more, view this FAQ entry about reducing the size of your records.