Hiding Results with Rules
There are cases when you may want to hide records from users based on what they’re searching for. Rules can help you achieve that, either for a single item or for several.
Hiding a single item
We can use Rules to hide a specific record based on its unique
Using the API
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 $rule = [ 'objectID' => 'hide-12345', 'condition' => [ 'pattern' => 'query', 'anchoring' => 'contains' ], 'consequence' => [ 'hide' => [ 'objectID' => 'to-hide-12345' ] ] ]; $index->saveRule($rule);
Using the Dashboard
- Go to your dashboard and select your index.
- Go to the Query Rules tab and click the New Rule button.
- In the Condition section:
- Set the anchoring of “if the query…” to Contains.
- Type your query in the input field and press
- In the Consequences section:
- Click the Add consequence button and select Hide a result.
- Find the product you want to hide in the input field and press
- Don’t forget to save your changes.
Hiding a set of items
Hiding single items can be helpful, but most of the time, you’ll want to hide several based on a distinctive attribute.
A good example is when users add key phrases such as “gluten-free”, which you can interpret as a cue to filter out any dish that has “gluten” in its list of allergens.